Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Squatah!

Trained today raw. Raw meaning no belt. Brent filled me in and I guess there are some differences in opinion on what raw is. So, for this session by raw I mean no belt. This also goes for my last deadlift session, I didn't use a belt. Been training beltless bc Brent left and I usually just borrowed his. But I finally ordered my own along with a rage x bench shirt and a max dl suit.

Everything should be in within the next week I'm guessing.
Question: Is there much of a difference between a squat suit and a deadlift suit? and Am I allowed to squat in a deadlift suit and will this hinder my squat?

Anyway heres my training for today:

(Everything was beltless)
Back Squat: Normal (wide) stance

wu
275x5
295x5
315x3
325x1

After this set my hips were tight as balls.

Close stance Back squat: (less than shoulder width)
225x5
245x5
275x5

Reverse Hack Squat
3 plates x 5
4 plates x 5
5 plates x 5

I do these by getting on the hack squat machine backwards. Meaning I am facing the machine. Really hit my upper quads and hip flexors.

Stair jumps:

4sets x 9 jumps

At the gym there is a set of stairs consisting of 5 steps. For each set I jumped from the ground in a squat to a step. I jumped to the first, reset, then the second, reset, then to the third, and so on. Then back down again. On the forth set sat in the squat for 3 seconds then jumped.

Hip Abductors
3sets x 20 reps

Hips were good and tight. The end

4 comments:

Juggernaut, the said...

You are (as always) a beast!

"Question: Is there much of a difference between a squat suit and a deadlift suit? and Am I allowed to squat in a deadlift suit and will this hinder my squat?

I have actually squatted in my deadlift suit before, haha.

From what I have seen in my deadlift suit, it's not as tight in the hips and has has a bit more spring in the deadlift range of motion (since the squat goes much lower).

I have no idea if it will hinder your squat, but if you haven't squatted in a suit, it will take some getting used to squatting with it. I would just give it a shot. I knew one guy in Seattle that preferred squatting in a deadlift suit since it matched his more upright squatting style.

Stephen Hokama said...

Dave,
For the record: Everyone and their mother knows that YOU'RE THE BEAST.

Thanks for the reply, I'll definately have to give it a go when it comes.

Hoping to get a training session in with you guys one of these days.

Brent Tanaka said...

Steve,
Come do some shirted bench with us this Saturday. You can stay at my place if you want to. Also, be ready to get hassled by all the ladies when you take your shirt off in the gym.

Stephen Hokama said...

I'll see what I can do. Have some school work I have to take care of first. I also work friday night. Some shirted bench would be sweet though.