Monday, September 22, 2008

RDE Squat Day

Trained with one of the new guys today, Kyle Ransom. He did really well and I think he's going to easily put a few hundred pounds on his total this quarter, which is awesome.

Back squat:
405 x 5
425 x 5
435 x 5

Whoooo. That heavy-chains cycle must've fixed something because squatting has never felt easier. My sticking point out of the hole is much stronger now. Also one of the guys in boston commented that my wrists looked bent when I was doing box squats. I narrowed my grip today by 2" and it felt much better. The bar feels really locked in and I didn't even have to use wrist wraps!

Reverse banded squat:
We used the greens.
495 x 5
545 x 5
585 x 3

Measured after the workout, it's ~75 at the top and ~135 at the bottom

Box squats:
Did these band resisted using the greens

225 x 4
225 x 4
225 x 4
275 x 4
315 x 4

Hyper extensions
~50 reps w/ green
(drop set:)
30 reps w/ green + purple, 10 reps w/ green, 20 reps with nothing

Finished with some sub-scap pulls

6 comments:

Nathan Beckmann said...

Cool... nice squats!

As for this "new guy" -- I'm guessing you mean @ UCLA? Tell me about him... Is he Dean-sized? Brent-sized? Dave-sized? Me-sized? Phil-sized? Should I keep going-sized?

What are his lifts/goals? Is he looking to compete this year?

Kyle said...

I'll answer those.

I'm 6'3" 205lbs, generally a swimmer's build, but looking to fill out.

Lifts:
265 squat
215 Bench
355 Deadlift (335 sumo)

don't know about competing yet.

Phil Russell said...

Dear Kyle, let me introduce you to the wonderful concept of Eating Big. Stuff yourself silly with 5+ whole meals a day and drink a gallon of whole milk a day. A swimmer's build is going to shatter under 400+ lbs. Since you're tall, you're pretty much going to be boned until you can improve your leverage.

I'm not kidding about any of this. Guys your height in powerlifting are minimum 275, and that's the Juniors. For example, here is IPF World Champion Brad Gillingham's career progress. He is your height.

So yeah, eat a ton.

Brent Tanaka said...

Holy shit, 435 X 5?!?!

Nathan Beckmann said...

Kyle you should definitely eat big, but don't panic. You don't have to be a fatty like Phil just yet ... you will need at least five years to mature into a legit 242-lb body, if you go mostly for muscle. Unless you have muscle-building genes. But you should eat big if you don't already.

Juggernaut, the said...

Nathan and Phil are liars. Milk is for babies.