Thursday, September 11, 2008

Re-Calibration/Max

So in an attempt to re-calibrate my Sheiko cycle for competition, Dave (guy that is giving Beck the Sheiko workouts) said to test my max's.

Squat:

135x3
185x2
225x1
255x1 Belt
285x1 Belt
300x1 Belt

Bench:

135x3
165x2
205x1
225x1
245-FAIL. I wore wrist wraps. Actually made it feel weird...

Deadlift:

110x1
200x3
290x1
340x1 Belted
380x1 Belted
400x1 Belted

Banded abs on Glute-Ham machine:
1x12
2x10
1x8

Crunches on exercise ball (in between glute-ham ab sets):
1x30
2x25

Plank holds on exercise ball/box
3x :45-1:00

Then I decided I could do more than 400 on Deadlift:

340x1 Belted
410x1 Belted

Dave didn't say go to failure and I was kind of on my own, so I may have been able to do more than 300. I was pretty satisfied with this considering that I've never maxed out on squat and haven't really squatted much till the last few months. My estimate was 275 for my Sheiko training.

I sucked on bench. I will let my excuse be 1) we are in the middle of a Sheiko cycle and 2) I sanded the entire floor of my new room (which is Nathan's old one) by hand for 3 hours last night, then restained it this morning when I woke up..my arms were not feeling that great afterward.

And as for deadlift...when I hit 400, it looked like I wasn't going to get it off the ground. Then of course, once I did, I locked out really fast. ...Which is why after some ab work and thinking, I went back and tried to rip it off the ground better and thus hit 410. However, my back was slightly rounded and not as arched/straight as I'd like it to be. ...but it looked better than my 400 rep.

So today I totaled 935 lbs, which would put me between Class 1 and Master status according to this: Raw Classifcation Standards



BTW. Deadlift seems to be my most impressive looking lift, and while doing them I got a few guys' information who were interested in powerlifting/some sort of club strength team:

Ryan Ehrenreich:
UCLA Law Student, who powerlifted at Stanford. Asked if there was a club here. Not sure what his weight class would be...181? 198? Probably around there.
ryanse@gmail.com

Andrew Ow:
Had some nice looking oly. lift form...and did a clean to Rippetoe-style press exercise. He's pretty ripped, but not sure how strong he really is. Would be a 148 or 165er...He weighs right in between there.
andy0080@aol.com

9 comments:

Phil Russell said...

Nice work, Dean-o!

Nathan Beckmann said...

Have you worked out what you're doing for the geared test?

It's going to be hard to say what your bench should be .... sanding = bad idea.

Nathan Beckmann said...

Also Dean, it's awesome how fast you've gone from a "bencher" to a "powerlifter". Keep up the good work. <3

Jake Ceccarelli said...

Nice job on the squats. Were the maxes you did on squat and deadlift records?

Brent Tanaka said...

Nice maxes Dean. Way to rep the Japanese people.

Nathan Beckmann said...

Dean -- have you found anyone to help with the geared test day? I just asked Brent, but he's busy on Sat. Make sure you figure this out.

@ Jake: Dean had tripled 255 but that was the heaviest he squatted before today. His working estimate was 275 for the 5 weeks of this cycle. He hit 407 geared at the meet, 385 raw previously. So a 20-25# PR on both lifts.

@ Dean: Have you ever benched 245 raw? I know you've hit 235...

Jake Ceccarelli said...

Wow then really good lifts considering you're in the middle of a Sheiko cycle.

kenji keeps going... said...

beck, sorry i didn't tag this post. i promise my next one i will.

and i have not hit 245 raw for bench.

also, i don't know why i did this but for bench i kept my feet in so my thighs could "grab" the bench which i read somewhere was good for stability but actually felt less stable since i've never done it before.

second, i tried to use"tendon stretch" ish to rip the weight off the ground faster...i think this can be effective (again, read about it) but since i've never done it i didnt get my butt low enough (this was for 400), which is why my form was better on 410 than 400.

also, i e-mailed dave (sheiko coach).

Nathan Beckmann said...

OK, in the future we generally don't change our form on the max day. W/e. The deadlift tip is worth trying, but not everyone deadlifts that way. The bench tip sounds stupid to me, but you could give it a shot. (Isn't a wider base much more stable?)