Monday, September 29, 2008

Contest Prep : Squat

Full-Gear Back Squat:
Gear:
- Inzer Hardcore Squat Suit
- Inzer Power Surge Red Line knee wraps
- Belt

AH YES. THe joys of the squat suit.

473 x 1, straps down w/ belt
495 x 1, straps up w/ belt
518 x no depth, straps up w/ knee wraps and belt

Ricardo, a 242 USPF guy who just moved to San Bernardino called my depth on the last one. Said I was about an inch above parallel.

So for next time:
- Chalk the back of the suit. On the 495 and 518 the bar felt unstable against the suit. THis doesn't happen against a t-shirt.
- Bury all squats. Whatever I think depth is, go deeper.
- The compression is unreal. Good think I've started contest prep far out from the meet.
- My knee wraps apparently suck. Mike said they were "training wraps", he has a pair of Titan wraps that I'll use next time.

Removed all gear/belt

RIppetoe-Style Standing Overhead Press:
198, 4 x 4

NOTE: cleaned all the first reps to the standing position

Good Mornings:
187, 3 x 8

4 comments:

Juggernaut, the said...

2 stretchy bands = training
3 stretchy bands = competition.

Nice work on the squats, you horse thief.

Jake Ceccarelli said...

You should set a box at parallel and squat to that (if you're training alone, which I presume happens sometimes). If you're training with people always have then give verbal cues to go lower, then to squat it up. It seems like a bad idea to intentionally go lower than necessary because you don't want to do that in competition.

Phil Russell said...

Yeah, the 518 was high mainly cuz I haven't worn knee wraps in like a year and a half. I'm used to "feeling" for the turn-around point without gear. So just need to keep practicing the gear.

JURGENS YOU SHEEP STEALER, NEXT TIME IT'S YOUR HEAD

Juggernaut, the said...

Also, I just saw the photo shoot of you with the new gear. That all looks like a keeper. I would just wear it until it breaks in.