Wednesday, September 10, 2008

SHEIKO WEEK #5; #2

Really long workout today, spent a lot of time talking with Frank and Danny.
- Deadlift 258x5 (50%), 308x5x2 (60%), 363x4x2 (70%), 388x3x4 (75%)
Ripped callus of right hand during first heavy set. Used straps for rest of pulls.
- Bench 150x5 (55%), 180x5 (65%), 195x4x5 (70%)
- Dips Bodyweight x8x5
- Rack pulls below knee 265x5 (50%), 315x5x2 (60%), 365x4x2 (70%), 415x3x4 (70%)
- Lunges 135x5x5
Left glute definitely doesn't fire properly. I blame this on years of not doing lunges or heavily favoring my right big toe. I am finally correcting it by putting the appropriate amount of weight on the front foot and leaning to the outside.
- Drop snatches 45x5x3
Done in between sets of lunges. Thanks, Jake!


OK....lot's of news. As I said, I tore my entire middle-finger-ish callus off my right hand on the first set of deadlifts. This really was annoying, but I got to do double overhand grip for the rest, which was interesting. On a side note, my deadlift is feeling really good lately -- my arch is tight and I'm pulling along the shins. For the rack pulls, I need to tighten my upper back before I start or it hurts like a bitch.

I met this guy, Frank, today. He's a 165er doing sets of 5 with 275 on squat and sets of 3-4 with 405 on deadlift. I asked him about competing and he seemed interested.

That's when I talked to this other guy that I've seen around and never had a serious conversation with. His name is Danny and he's from Israel. He told me that he used to compete, but he's taken the last two years off. He hadn't trained for the last 4 months and kept telling me "wait a couple months, and you'll see!" So we started talking numbers. He competes at 242, by the way. He said he used to do raw squat (only belt) with 300kg (660#) for reps. His best competition squat was almost 400kg (880#) multiply. He said his bench wasn't great, and lately its been very weak -- he "only hit 405x1 today". So...............wtf. I'm going to try to show up in the gym when these guys are there (Rene is always there), and get some pointers from Danny on my lifts.

4 comments:

Nathan Beckmann said...

Danny was also complaining about the dumbbells in our gym. They only go up to 120, and he was doing sets of 30 with them. ("I don't know how useful aerobic is for my upper back") I can confirm this--I saw him hammering these out without ever adjusting his grip.

Phil Russell said...

Finally, someone weighs more than I do!

ps. Good work Nathans!

Jake Ceccarelli said...

Man, why does the nerdiest school in the country have so many competant lifters, and yet the entire fittest state in the nation has a bunch of giant pussys?

GH said...

Because fit doesn't necessarily mean strong, hardcore, etc. Most of the people here believe how they look most easily translates into quality of life. Mark Rippetoe would like to correct them on this mistake.