Saturday, September 27, 2008

Bench Day

I got to the gym super extra early, so I did close to infinite warm-up sets to try and get two things down: my arch, and the groove of the reverse grip.

Reverse Grip Bench: 135x5
155x3
165x3
175x2
185x1 (ugly; it got out of the groove)

Went to a 3 board: 135x6 (tried regular grip, but it didn't feel ready yet, so just stuck with reverse)
165x5
175x3 + 2 assisted
175x3 + 1 assisted
175x3 (almost lost last one)

Plate Push Press: 100x3, 4, 3, 3

Face Pulls: Purple Band x 12
Green x 12, 12, 12, 15

Plank Holds on Ball: 5 sets

A good session. My wrist is healing well. I also feel that all of this reverse grip work will help my normal grip too. My regular bench was all pecs and delts, but I really feel the reverse grip working my tri's and lats.

And apparently I will be competing in the November Meet. Odds are I will be competing in the Junior 220's (according to my plan I should be at about 215-218 by 11/15). I guess I might just be going with some entry level gear?

11 comments:

Nathan Beckmann said...

Or compete ONE HUNDRED PERCENT RAW with me!!!

Kyle said...

not sure yet. I will have to consult with the powers that be (aka David).

Phil Russell said...

Kyle, I'll give Dave my Inzer HD Blast to give to you to try out. It fit decently as a 198-er (and is skin-tight but wearable as a 220). It only gives 20-40 lbs, but it's a good intro. Mike W (USAPL chair for CA) also has a box of free shirts (EHPHD, etc) so I'll see if he has anything that will fit you.

Kyle said...

sweet! thanks phil.

and I could probably just pick up a z-suit or something for the squat and deadlift.

Nathan Beckmann said...

If you're going to buy one, you can pick up a stock size Titan suit for only $20 more. I haven't used it, but I think it would be better than the Z-suit. See what Dave thinks.

(http://www.plgearonline.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=27)

Nathan Beckmann said...

Also, I don't know when I became such a Titan whore, but I've just been very happy with my suit (esp. compared to my METAL) and most single ply lifters use their stuff.

Kyle said...

mkay. I was just thinking that I could continue to grow into the z-suit as the size that I would get (a 35) is from 210-235lbs.

so with the z-suit, total cost of meet:

$50 (z-suit +shipping) + $55 (entry) + $40 (membership) = $145

that could work, as the suit and membership would last a while.

Nathan Beckmann said...

Yeah, that sounds fine. I was only suggesting that you could replace the z-suit purchase with a Titan suit for $20 more and you'd probably wind up with a better suit.

Phil Russell said...

Kyle, try ordering your suit from Steve Denison (USPF CA Chair) at

pwrlftrs@msn.com

He is an Inzer gear seller and has better prices than their web site.

Kyle said...

thanks for the info phil. If I go Inzer, I'll definitely shoot him an email.

Nathan, I'll give Titan a call on Monday afternoon and see what stock size they would advise (something that I could grow into a little). I'd like to have something that would last for a couple meets, not just a one-time thing.

Nathan Beckmann said...

Of course ... but no matter what suit you order, you should get something that fits you tight. A loose suit is a waste. And it will stretch as you grow -- just ask Phil.

It's also true that Steve could cut you a deal. You might want to see what price he has on the higher-tier suits too if you are prepared to pay $50 or so ... might be worth it. I'm pretty sure the good Inzer suit is better than the beginner suits from any company out there.

The squat suit isn't that hard to learn, so I think you could get a pretty good one without it giving you any major trouble.