Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Speed bench

Lower back feels better. Hamstrings still feel like death. I was able to play ultimate frisbee again today with no issues (felt much better than on Monday), but I'm not sure how I'll feel on friday.

Dan (training partner here) and I agreed that we were both pretty fried from Sunday's workout. I think he spent 20 minutes warming up because he was so stiff. I showed up late, so I just warmed up for a few. We think it was those close-grip pin presses. Also, it might have been all that crazy shirt work.

Speed bench with quadded-purples:
Alternated regular, medium and close grip ever set.
155 x 3, 6 sets
155 x 2 (medium grip, fail on third)
155 x 2 (close grip, fail on third)

I'm not sure how much the bands were adding but they were heavy. Maybe 100-150 at the top?

Military Press:
185 x 6
185 x 4
135 x 14

Decline bench:
275 x 3 (so tired)
225 x 8
245 x 8
275 x 3 (fail on 4th)

Cable triceps with fat-bar grip:
(measured in unlabeled plates on the stack)
9 x 12 reps
10 x 12 reps
10 x 12 reps
10 x 10 reps

Transversus Crunches:
(they actually have a machine for this here!) Not sure how the weight on the machine compares to the weights we do with the exercise balls.
35lbs x 20?
60lbs x 20?
60lbs x 20?
60lbx x 10?

Also, I think I need to keep doing these more. From the wikipedia article:
The most well known and effective method of strengthening the TVA is the vacuum exercise. The TVA also (involuntarily) contracts during lifts; it is the body's natural weight-lifting belt, stabilizing the spine and pelvis during lifting movements. It has been estimated that the contraction of the TVA and other muscles reduces the vertical pressure on the intervertebral discs by as much as 40%.[2] Failure to engage the TVA during higher intensity lifts is dangerous and encourages injury to the spine. The TVA acts as a girdle or corset by creating hoop tension around the midsection.

5 comments:

Phil Russell said...

Hey Dave, you know what really helps build your transverse? Not wearing a belt.

QED

Juggernaut, the said...

I'm pretty sure that wearing a belt is not affecting my transversus strength, as I'm not targeting the muscle when I do exercises that engage it.

Jake Ceccarelli said...

Actually, I'm pretty sure wearing a belt really isn't that big of a deal. Bulgarian and Chinese weightlifters use them often, even in training. Although, I still never wear a belt so I guess my real opinion is that belts are unneccesary and for pussys.

Phil Russell said...

Haha, good work Jake

GH said...

*thumbs up for jake*