Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Meeting 148lb World Champion Narbe Mansourian who has benched 392lbs raw

I've heard about Narbe at my local home gym here in the valley by Tujunga, Ca (north of Glendale/Burbank). There are pictures of him on the wall. Last night, I finally got to meet him and see him bench!!

Narbe has been WORLD CHAMPION for his RAW BENCH 5 times if not more. Very friendly person. Gave me a lot of great tips. He is now 34 and teaches math to eager middle school students. He lifted his 392lb world record raw bench back in 2004. Today, I got to see him hit some real easy singles at 335 in a loose sweatshirt, jeans, and sandals. He took a lot of the summer off due to an injury.

I asked him about his TRAINING PROGRAM and he informed me that he trains 2-3 days a week. 2 days a week he flat benches. 1 heavy day (filled with 5-8 sets of singles/doubles/triples depending how he feels). 1 light day (filled with 8-12 sets of 10-15 reps). On both heavy or light day, he will do some tricep work afterwards. Narbe said he does not incline bench or shoulder press and hasn't for the past 3-4 years. Flat Bench and Tricep Work are his bread and butter and it obviously works very well for him given his lift. If he goes a third day in the week, he will do some calf raises and other accessory work that will further help his bench.

1 comment:

Ben said...

Narbe is 5 foot 6 for the record.

My link isn't working, but if you google image search "Narbe Mansourian", the first photo that comes up is the Dec. 2007 Powerlifting USA Cover with Narbe on it. He benched 369 that year.