Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Devil's Lair: Squat

Ted and Hillary were my instructors today. Ted has a squat somewhere in the 800's I believe and Hillary has a 562 squat (at 165 no less). They had me doing box squats today. The main point that I need to work on is sitting back and not rocking on the box. I am using too much quad to squat the weight, and not enough hips. Also, I need to widen my stance.

Worked up to 235x1 for a box squat with OK technique. Ted said that this week was just to get me into the system and see where I'm at. They'll kill me next week.

Pull-throughs: 50x10, 10, 10, 10

These were done on a belt squat machine. A lot harder than a regular cable it seemed.

Then, THE PROWLERRRRR!!!1!!
Unloaded x 4 trips
+50lbs x 2 trips
+90lbs x 2 trips

This thing is hard. Not quite as bad as one of those rowing machines (god I hate those) but kicks your ass in an awesome way. We need one of these Dave.

Reverse Hypers and Side Bends to finish. Along with the sled warm-up. These 3 things are a given, so I will stop mentioning them.

Stuck around for a bit afterward and Ted introduced me to some of the guys. Apparently most of them started out skinny and weak (like me) and now I think 75% of the guys there totaled Elite. Ted has been hinting that I just may fill out into the 275's if I train there in the summer too. Sweet.

2 comments:

Juggernaut, the said...

Please come back as a 275. Also, bring back their PROWLAAA too. (don't forget the sled too)

Nathan Beckmann said...

Make sure to keep some perspective. Squats for single-ply/raw are much different than multiply.