Monday, December 1, 2008

CONDITIONING WEEK #1

Flexibility - hams, groin, hip flexors

Bench - 140x5 (50%), 170x4x2 (60%), 195x3x3 (70%)
Squat - 215x5 (50%), 255x4x2 (60%), 300x3x3 (70%)
Flies - 30x10x3
Good mornings - 175x5x3

Flexibility - hams, groin, hip flexors

Start of the new cycle! I hypothesize that the sore muscle in my left hip might be one of the heads of the quadricep. It seems to get worked doing the big leg extension superset yesterday. Regardless, I discovered that if I keep my quads nice and tight during squats, I don't seem to get hip pain. I'll see if this works in the long run.

In other news, I taught my mom how to box squat today. She's had major knee problems, so I wanted to teach her some way of strengthening her leg muscles that wouldn't stress her knees. She had never squatted before, is 52, and not in shape particularly. She worked up to 135x5. I'm so proud of her.

3 comments:

Brent Tanaka said...

holy shit. 135 X 5?!? no wonder where you get your strength from.

Juggernaut, the said...

Bull used to have the old ladies do a sumo deadlift where they would just pick up a dumbbell. He told them it was like picking up a heavy sack of groceries, so they needed to learn how to do it right.

I think he should have taught them how to box squat, hahaha. How high was the box? Did she break parallel or was she High School Musical?

Nathan Beckmann said...

Probably a couple inches high -- but close. I had to work with what was available @ 24 hr fitness.