Monday, December 22, 2008

The Sled Blows

Squats:
295 X 5
315 X 5
315 X 5
335 X 2

I think my squat sucks because my hips are weak. The guys said low box squats with a wide stance should help strengthen my hips.

Below Parallel Box Squats:
185 X 2 (greens)
225 X 2 (greens)
225 X 2 (greens)
225 X 2 (greens+purples)
225 X 2 (greens+purples)

Band Pull Thrus:
Purples X 15 (4 sets)
Greens X 10 (1 set)

P.O.S. Sled Work:
200lb forwards X 40 yards
300lb forwards X 40 yards (a lot faster than last week)
300lb backwards X 40 yards (This set was a bitch. It took about 10 minutes to complete. I fell down at least 4 times. The sled never moved more than an inch with each step. Everyone was yelling at me, including myself. When I finally finished I couldn't feel my shit...quads, calves, glutes, feet were all fried. I think I earned a bit of respect though for not quitting.)

4 comments:

Juggernaut, the said...

300lbs Sled pulls?? You are a beast.

Also, how did the greens + purples feel? Is that comparable to blues? I've always wondered.

The wide-stance box squats will help, but make sure the box is low enough that your hips are fully engaged.

Also, if you get bored, those super-wide sumo deadlifts are pretty good at destroying my hips (they actually cramp between sets). And they aren't too taxing on the CNS.

Kyle said...

do you hate the sled more or less than the fat dumbbell?

Jake Ceccarelli said...

How wide are we talking here on the squats? Also, strengthening your "hips" (read: glutes) could just be a matter of changing your squat form to use them more effectively (and actually train them when you squat). Does your ass rise in the squat before your shoulders and the bar? That could be the problem.

Brent Tanaka said...

I'll post a video soon so you guys can help me and give me the right advices.