Monday, August 29, 2011

Squat

All of my injuries have healed up really over the past few weeks off except my hip.
I just really am tired of my hip hurting while squatting and deadlifting, and want to fix it before i get hurt badly.
It is SI joint dysfunction. My ART guy said if persistent adjustments arent holding, and i obviously dont have a traumatic injury, its due to muscle imbalances.. because I've mostly just worked around this injury and not rehabbed it, I can feel my Left lower back is more defined than the left, and watching squat videos sometimes I shift the weight to compensate. So until school starts my main goal for lower body is to get this gone, once and for all, so I can train full force for collegiates and today I think was a good start...

Took some advice from some really knowledgeable guys at my gym, lets just say they really humbled me.
This workout was probably the hardest thing I've ever done, and Im more shaky than after a 5x5 squat workout.

Defecit Lunges
95x20,20,20
10 per leg, my glutes and quads were dying, this is 1/2 the weight I use for normal lunges.

Single Leg pistol squats, BW
x6,6,6 per leg

These were ridiculous, i could feel a big stretch in my very upper glutes and lower back meeting point on the left side. these were harder on left leg.

Single Leg RDL's
95x20,20,20
10 per leg, these were really stupidly hard, on my right side, these were KILLING my hamstrings, but on left leg not much hamstring but my glutes were getting fried. think i might have found the problem.. not sure.

finished with PNF and transversus


4 comments:

Luke said...

pistols are a bitch. how do you set up a deficit lunge? how long do you plan on doing workouts like this?

Also I noticed your font is different sometimes. Is this because you first post on bodybuilding.com and copy and paste it here?

Nick said...

defecit lunge you put your front leg on a 6 inch box, so you have increased ROM.

just 2-3 weeks, im pretty sure this will fix my problem. I'm going to take care of this while im still healthy enough to squat and deadlift so it doesn't get more serious.

yeah, sometimes i post there first lol

Juggernaut, the said...

Nick, if you are serious about taking care of your injuries, then you need to see a medical doctor: go to Sports Medicine or Physical Therapy. ACT may feel good but has almost no clinical backing for it being effective. The fact that you know what is wrong and want to fix it is a good start. However, ACT is likely not going to be a long-term solution. I asked my physical therapist friend what they knew about ACT and this is what they replied:

"Interesting, I have not heard of ACT. We did not learn about it in school, not even in the massage courses. It sounds like a glorified subtype of massage therapy, from what I have found on the website. I did not do a full lit review, but from what I've found, the long term effects have not been assessed and there's not much info on it in general. With the information I have now, I highly believe that although ACT may be beneficial in the short term, it will probably not prevent re-occurences or have any long term effects.

I am slightly biased but from the schooling I've had thus far, your friend would also need to identify and address the specific movement impairments (faulty movement patterns) that he repetitively engages in (in terms of joint mechanics). This is probably a large contributor to his muscle stiffness/adhesions/shortness/pain etc. Most likely, there are some muscles in the painful area that are working too much, and others that are not working enough - hence, joints get imbalanced and move imprecisely, and over time certain muscles get strained (which can lead to nerve impingement/entrapment). Especially since he's a lifter and engages in lots of repetitive movements with heavy weights, it would probably be a good idea for him to get checked out by a PT who can analyze his movement strategies (especially any bending/lifting/or painful movements) to figure out what's causing the muscles to be short/painful/stiff. " (Also, this is someone from the #2 PT school in the nation, so they know their stuff)

If you're serious about fixing your injury, it's time to get a serious analysis and recovery plan, and stop going for short-term relief.

Nick said...

word. thanks for that Dave, I think the fact that after doing Single Leg movements and having my right hamstring sore only on the right, and my glute/adductor sore only on the left is a good start. Do you have any recommendations of who i should have analyze my movements?