Monday, August 15, 2011

Raw Bench

I'm in Kauai with my family this week. I found a gym near where we're staying called Kauai Muscle and Fitness. They have a squat rack and bench press and dumbbells up to 100s and a bunch of machines and cardio equipment. The bars are slightly rusted from the humidity though. Still functional though.

Bench
175 x 5
185 x 5 @8-
195 x 5 @8+
205 x 5 @9 (5 lb PR)
210 x 4+1 fail

I contemplated repeating 205 for my last set but ended up being greedy and trying 210. I have this tendency to get greedy right after a meet I guess because I'm excited to be training again after basically 2 weeks off. Greg said in the Cycle 1 email: "Remember, there should never be failing in a 5/3/1 EVER"....I have failed you Mr. President :(


Elbow flaring is happening too early.

Close grip bench
155 x 8
165 x 8, 8

Lat pulldowns
I started doing these with my shoulders retracted and a slight backward lean to mimic pulling the bar in during a shirted bench.
180 x 4 x 8 (various grips)

Hammer curls
55s x 8, 6
45s x 8

4 comments:

Kyle said...

Shoulda just gregged it. Reps 1-4 looked easy.

Luke said...

you got it, you got it... puts down camera because vit doesn't got it

Luke said...

nice PR after not lifting for 2 weeks btw. first 185 x 10 and now 210 x 4, you're getting endurance... how do you always find these gyms when you're on vacation?

Vit said...

Thanks Luke. I tend to look up these gyms a couple months ahead of time if I know I'll be out of town haha