Monday, September 14, 2009

Rugby and Stuff

Hai d00ds. Sorry I disappeared for a while, moving and busy work kept me from wasting time on the internet.

Here's some stuff I did in the last few days.



1. 9/8/09 - Tuesday - Practice

I think I arrived late. I've been very sluggish and 'meh' about getting to practice.

1. 9/9/09 - Wednesday - Lifting

Got my teeth drilled immediately before this, so I was lifting with a numb mouth and kept biting my tongue. Special.

I'm now on the USARugby in-season lifting program, so there is less PL stuff, higher reps, more Oly, some jumping things. I'm changing things around to fit in more cool stuff like the prowler, the glut-ham raise, and making time for deads, bench, and back squat.

P. Snatch: 55x6x3-4

These may have been hang snatches.

P.Clean: 95x4,105x4x3

These were heavier than I normally do, but went fine, I just took a little more time to set up between reps.

Not doing jerk for a while, because it's not a priority and slows me down.

Front Squat: 105x4x4

These were murder on my hamstrings, I'm still slightly feeling it 5 days later. Oof.

Concentrated on keeping a good tight arch, knees out, and trying to use the rebound

Alternating Incline DB press: 30x6x4

It's been a while since I did these, so I started comparatively light. My right shoulder was hurting a lot, but as long as I hit the full range of motion, it was ok.

&&

Single leg RDL : 45x8eax4

oof. Right leg really tight, some sort of shin splints.

Single arm seated cable row: 20x10eax4

These felt good, I could feel it in my back the next day.

&&

Pitcher squats: 40+bwx6eax3

oof. Definitely need to work on these.


1. 9/10/09 - Thursday - Practice

Backs plays looked very good at the beginning. Practiced 6-in offensive plays where the weak wing inserts between the flyhalf and inside center. Pretty cool. Got stuck at mandatory bar night until 11pm. Not happy.


1. 9/11/09 - Friday - Lifting

Slightly limited on time because we were going to the Sam Adams octoberfest. Which was excellent, btw.

P. Snatch: 55x6x3-4

These were hang snatches. I think.

P.Clean into Front Squat: 95x4x4

Lighter than wednesday because this is supposed to be a lighter lift before gameday. And my hams were still killing me.

DB flies: 15sx8x3

Flies usually hurt my shoulder, so I went very light and slow.

&&

Glut ham raise: BWx10x3

Initially set such that my hamstrings were mudered. Reset so the rest were slightly better.

Sandbag slams: 45?x10x3

This was fun. Definitely worked me hard.

DB rotational row: 20x8ea, 25x8eax3

I think I did these right. Reminded me of a turkish-get-up sort of movement, with good trunk rotation and shoulder extension.

Foam roller: hamstrings, glutes, back.


1. 9/13/09 - Sunday - Charles River @ North Shore: 7 -20

Solidly beat our big rivals. First league game of the season. Turned into a brutally hot day, even the fittest of us were suffering.

We scored the first try, which probably was a big factor in giving us the confidence to push hard. I started as wing, got a few touches but didn't get to do much with them, I never had the space to run. Went to FLANKER when morgan went out. This was awesome. I was at every ruck and driving hard, helped us win a lot of ball, it was exhausting but really fun and satisfying. Then went to scrumhalf when katie went out, made some good tackles on their hesitating flyhalf, made some good plays, had a decent run that resulted in a try. Was wrecked by the end, but then we had a bside game. Played scrum for bside, but was really just done and not having as much fun with that one.


Contemplating leaving North Shore for Boston Women at the end of this season. The commute is killing me, all the social activities are several towns away and I have no car to get there. I don't want my love of the sport to be dampened by all the other bullshit I have to deal with to just play it, and that seems to be what's happening currently.


No comments: