Monday, September 21, 2009

Nathan : 9/20

1. 9/20/09 - Mon - SQUAT

Weight: 217 (morning). Time: 1:45.

  Came into today with lower back being a bit sore. This escalated and I decided to cut the workout short. Otherwise, I am very happy with how my form looks on the lifts I did today.

Warm-up : bike 10 mins

SSB box squat 65x5x3, 155x5x2, 245x4, 275x4x6 @9

Right side of lower back, basically inside the hip, was killing me on these. I think I pulled this slightly on close-grip presses last Wednesday, and this movement killed it for some reason.

  I think form is pretty good on these overall, except Carlos said I was "plopping" (crashing) onto the box in my first couple sets. I could sit back a little more so my knees are past vertical, but where I am is OK. On some sets I rocked more than I would like, but when I focused on it, it wasn't a problem.

20090921-ssb box squat fifth set 275x4

20090921-ssb box squat sixth set 275x4

Sumo deadlift with chains 135x5x2, 225x5x2, 315x3, 315+120x2x2 @8, 315+160x2x4 @8.5

I was worried about these going into it because of my lower back, but they didn't seem affected. The warm-up set with 315 felt the heaviest of any of them. I could have done more than 315+160, but I decided to keave it there even though its slightly below the RPE I was shooting for. Next week I will either go to 200 lbs chain or increase bar weight -- maybe both! I'm happy with form on these.

20090921-sumo dead w chain first set 315+120 x2

Fw: 20090921-sumo dead w chain sixth set 315+160x2

Pause squat with chains

Skipped because of lower back and time running out.

Twisting crunches w sandbag 25 lbs x 12 x 4

Was going to call it after 3 sets, but Jason did another so I had to too.


2 comments:

Juggernaut, the said...

Your six set of ss-bar box squats was much better than the fifth. Less rocking, more stretching at the bottom. If you can, I would go beltless on these, as they are fantastic for working core strength.

Also, are you using your Oly shoes while deadlifting?

Nathan Beckmann said...

Agreed. I watched the video of fifth set and realized how much I was rocking and fixed it on the next set.

I am trying to go beltless on everything for this training cycle. For today, though, my back was *killing* me and I really needed the belt for my last couple of sets. It still hurts today. :( The belt definitely helps me on these, though.

And those are wrestling shoes, not oly. I'm trying a cycle without the oly shoes for now.