Friday, September 18, 2009

Deadlift

Deadlift
warmup
335 x 4+1 fail
Pretty disappointing considering I did 335x5 a few weeks ago. Not sure why but I was extremely tired at the beginning of this workout and usually the tiredness goes away by the time I do a heavy set but this time it didn't.

285 x 3, 3, 3
I noticed something about my form while doing these lighter sets. I've been trying to start with my hips lower, making it easier to start with my lower back arched. I realized though, that when I start with my hips slightly higher, the bar comes up much faster off the ground. Unfortunately I think this causes me to have a less arched lower back.

So I'm wondering whether it'd be better to 1) Start with my hips lower, focus on an arched lower back, but be slower off the floor, or 2)Start with my hips higher, be faster off the floor, but not have as good an arch. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

Leg curls
90 x 12, 12, 12

Kneeling abs
95 x 12
102.5 x 7
95 x 10

Back raises
BW x 35

3 comments:

Jake Ceccarelli said...

Get more flexible, start with your hips higher, and arch your back.

Nathan Beckmann said...

Seconded.

Juggernaut, the said...

I agree. Hips higher = stronger conventional deadlift.

Try deadlifting off blocks and lower the blocks each set. This will help you find out where exactly your form breaks down so you can concentrate on that area.

I also recommend throwing in more good mornings. You might work these off pins (or seated) so you can have a consistent depth target for each rep.