Friday, September 11, 2009

Nathan : 9/10 & 9/11

1. 9/11/09 - Fri - DEAD

Time: 1:30.

  Still keeping things light. Called it early so Dee and I could make Octoberfest.

Warm-up bike x 10 min

Conventional deadlift 135x5x3, 225x3x2, 275x3, 315x4 @ 8, 335x4x5 @ 8

Main deadlift movement. It has been a very long time since I used this as a primary movement, so I thought I would rotate it in. Since I had grip issues at my last meet, I decided to go with double overhead, no chalk for all of this. I think I am capable of 4x6 at 405, so this was definitely light.

Squat w/ chains 45x5x3, 135x5x2, 225x3, 225+80x2 @ 7, 275+80x2x5 @ 8

Lockout squat movement. I have seen great success from Dave and Brent using chains on their squat, so I decided to give it a try.

Sumo rack pull from 2'' below knee 225x5, 335x5, 365x5x4 @ 7.5

Deadlift assistance. This tends to be my weak point with a real deadlift bar, not sure that working this as-is will help much, but its the best I got. On most of these sets, I only got 3 reps before having to switch to alternate grip for the remainder.

2. 9/10/09 - Thu - CARDIO

Bike 30 mins

Flexibility - gastroc, soleus, adductor on leg press, hamstrings, hip flexors, seated groin


2 comments:

Juggernaut, the said...

I wouldn't mess with double overhand if you're trying to train grip. Instead, try holding the last rep of your deadlift for 5-10 seconds at the top. I found this works much better for stressing the grip in a deadlift-specific way.

Also, I realize you're going light, but when you start working with the chains, don't be afraid to pack on the chain weight to the point where it's almost equal to what you would be doing for reps at the bottom.

Nathan Beckmann said...

The reason I think double overhand might work is..
(1) its harder on the grip
(2) my overhand grip is the one that slipped
But I will try doing your suggestion as well on sets that I'm forced to use alternate grip.

I was wondering what chain weight to use. That is helpful.