Saturday, September 12, 2009

Muscle Beach Powerlifting Competition

So today was my first full meet. Was definitely a bit nervous, especially since it was a morning of weigh-in and I had no idea how I would feel for a full competition. I feel like I did a pretty good job of hitting my weight class...relied a lot on power bars and Clif bars. Also, was able to have a few tiger's milk bars and a Clif bar and some pedialyte and water on Friday night. Saturday A.M. I weighed myself at 131.8 while holding a Clif bar, so I ate it.

Weighed in around 6:30 or maybe like closer to 7. They were running late. Weighed in at 131.4.

Squat:

341.5 good- two whites and a red..moved my foot a little as i finished the lift
363.75 good- no prob
380.25 good- again, no prob. had maybe 10-20 pounds more in me?


Bench:

275.5 fail- got way out of the groove and couldn't push it up
275.5 fail- butt came off the bench
275.5 GOOD- two whites and a red. PHEW. clutch. cut it close...too close. I had a slight hitch on my left side when I got halfway or so but kept it going pretty good other than that. Need to do lockout work. But overall, the weight went up pretty good.


Deadlift:

429 good
462.75 FAIL- ugh. couldn't get it off the ground
462.75 FAIL- double ugh.


TOTAL: 1085


Squat: Need to make sure I unrack the weight, get out, set, and lock knees out right away so I can start the lift. Also, do more weight next time.

Bench: Need to do a lot more shirt work...really getting a feel for the groove and working on all the small things...like keeping my butt down. Also, work on lockout.

Deadlift: LOTS of work to do from the floor. moremoremore deficit deadlifts. I was able to hit 455 no probbb 3 weeks ago. And 429 felt great. However, after a full meet I was certainly tired..especially legs since my leg drive was real good for bench. Also, weighing a lot less made my suit less tight. I realize that I should have just gone for 445 to get an 1100 total, but I felt confident going for 463, and so did Manny (the guy who's been coaching me from OC Strength Club).

Mad props to OC Strength Club. These guys know how to get work done at a competition...little things like loading the bars during so we don't have to use any excess energy...making sure we were hydrated...making sure we had all our gear...getting warm up sets in without having to rush...getting everyone psyched up...bringing 3 tents and lots of chairs.

Also, mad props to Brent Tanaka, who totaled a monster PR of 1449 and thus qualified for FitExpo in January. Hopefully he'll post more about it.


And to end on a positive note for myself...
I set new CA State records on all my lifts including the total. And I now have a full meet under my belt. I know what to expect. I know what I need to work on.


Time to get stronger.

6 comments:

Juggernaut, the said...

Nice work Dean! I didn't even realize you were doing a full meet, haha. And a great total for going 5/9! Did you get any videos of the your lifts?

Kyle said...

Most excellent lifting Dean! I have a lot of work to do in catching up to the squat department.

Jake Ceccarelli said...

Damn I feel like a pussy now.

Nathan Beckmann said...

Dean, you are a sex machine. I want to have your child.

Jake Ceccarelli said...

Ya I forgot to mention: don't get any stronger. You already beat me on bench. Your deadlift and squat aren't allowed to improve.

Trey said...

CONGRATS dean!!

doin it big! nice work on those MASSIVE numbers ..whatta stud.




ps: post ur vids!