Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Luke 7-6-11 Bench Ed Coan wk 3

Got sunburned on the 4th so I'll squat tomorrow along with good mornings and hopefully my skin isn't as painful to be touched.

Bench
170 x 8 @ 9-
170 x 8 @ 9
once again my left shoulder hurt throughout the workout.

Close Grip Bench (maybe a finger wider than shoulder width)
145 x 8 @ 9
145 x 8 @ 10-

Incline Bench
125 x 8 @ 9-
125 x 8 @ 9-

Wide Grip Lat Pulldown with strict form
180 x 8
190 x 8
200 x 8

Shrugs
315 x 15
405 x 15
455 x 22 with 2 breaks every 7 reps or so

4 comments:

Ryan said...

Shoulder pain?

3 words-
tuck, tuck, tuck.

I've forced myself to tuck 99% of my reps and not only has my bench gone up, but the shoulder injury I have that originated back in December has now finally, mostly, gone away.

Luke said...

When I widened my grip and tucked more my shoulders felt awesome, but now after the mini meet, I've had constant pain when I bench. Tucking definitely helps, but it still feels sore. How did you hurt your shoulder originally?

Ryan said...

Back in December I was benching heavy triples and after a rep the weight leaned slightly forward, towards my feet, and the adjustment trying to bring the weight back in to position slightly tore my left shoulder. I instantly felt the tear, though not painful, was a bit of discomfort. After that, benching normally was moderately painful and would freeze up my joint after a few sets. I took 7 weeks off, and came back to the injury still being there. From then on, I brought my grip in about a finger, and when I bench I pull the bar apart and tuck as hard as I can. If I don't pull the bar apart and contract my lats, I feel it in my shoulder. I've been doing this since the beginning of May and am happy to say that I had no shoulder tightness or pain last night after heavy singles.

Ryan said...

and if it comes to it, I'll fail the rep rather than flare hard at the bottom