Saturday, June 20, 2009

6-20

P. Sn. 72/4 82/2 x 3
Snatch 88/2 x 2 100 - 1,1,1,1,miss,1
Sn. Pull 110/2 x 4
Jerk 100/2 112/2 x 3 100- 2,4

Tried to back squat but could only do 162/1 after this, so I left Crossfit Balboa, drove home, and went to the ARC (about an hour break total):

B. Squat 125/5 162/3 x 5
Bench 145/3 170/3 x 2 195/3 x 6

Easy after the break. I lose my ability to strain after heavy Olympic lifts. They are too dissimilar from squats (much faster, much more rebound out of the bottom, lower bottom position as well). After a rest though I'm good to go.

Also, When I got to the ARC one of the squat racks was being used by this idiot teaching his little brother/friend how to lift (I believe they were training for either basketball or football). I got to hear such gems as "point your toes straight forward and don't put you legs wide or you won't work the right muscles," "these work your quads and your legs (with gestures to quads and hamstrings)," and "don't worry about what other people are doing just worry about tearing them up on the field, or court." I also got to watch as they did 1/4 reps on both squats and lunges, then move to the Smith machine to do weighted jumps with like 90% of what they were "squatting." I mean, they were going down the same distance for a squat (and a lunge) as they were for the jumps.

The thing that actually pissed me off was this: "anyone can put up three plates on a side" (this was as I was benching...I could barely keep from laughing and/or beating the shit out of this pussy because I'm about 90% sure he was talking about me.). And the reason I think he was talking about me (other than the fact that I was squatting 360 5 feet from them beforehand), although I didn't hear it, is because I think the little brother/friend was questioning his "mentor" when he saw me lift. Oh, another delightful piece of advice: "it doesn't matter if you see someone lifting more than you. If you're doing 10's on a side and you're doing it right then it doesn't matter." The irony being, of course, they they had NO CLUE was right actually is.

1 comment: