Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Upper back and other useful knowledge

My upper-back days have been sucking lately due to me having to train by myself, alone in the gym. Also I seem to be working out at 11pm-12, which make the gym ultra-creepy since it's inside this larger, creepier building. I will post pictures of this setting at some point.

Originally, I was planning on pushing the prowler around, but it started pouring at 7pm just as I was about to leave, so I took a nap instead and did upper-back later. I can't really push the prowler after 10pm, as it makes some noise grinding way the parking lot.

ultra-wide grip lat pulldowns:
10 x entire track (4 sets)
The stack only goes to "25". I guess that means I'm lifting 25 weights?

Dumbbell rows:
85 x 10 (what was I thinking?)
125 x 10 (3 sets)

ultra awesome superset of:
1) dumbbell side raises
2) hammer curls
3) jurgens raises1

I did this for like 6 sets. Then I got bored and went home.

1 Okay, I have no idea what these are really called. (someone help please (Gary, I'm guessing you know)). I hang from a bar with my hands slightly inside my bench grip width, then I rotate the scapula back hard while rotating the chest up. Then I release and go back to a stretched, hanging position. It's not quite a serratus pull since I do more of a strict rotation of the chest instead of pulling straight up. When I do it right, I feel my entire upper back get really tight, and even my triceps too.

This is designed to mimic the bench arch set up. Also, (more importantly for me) it really emphasizes the muscle that improve posture. I've been really working on my posture for the past year, and after six months of improving those band exercises from the physical therapist, I needed a harder exercise to keep my progress going.


Useful Knowledge:
1) Only gently shake the cans of protein you get from trader joe's. Unlike most protein drinks, these are carbonated, and will explode when open if shaken prior.

2) TJ's sells mutant fruit. I've been trying to eat healthier so I snack on fruit at work. However, when shopping I have a tendency to buy what I think is normal fruit without looking at the label. This means I have accidentally bought pluots, angelcots, grapples, plumcots, and apriums. All that's left for my to accidentally sample is the mythical peacotum. NEEDZ MOAR FROOT.

No comments: