Monday, August 11, 2008

squat day

During warm-ups the lower back felt tight, so I had to belt it after the first work set. The tightness was probably from hitting that no-belt conventional max where my back gave out. oh well. So after one week of no belt training, I am back to belted training until things feel rested.

Squats:
365 x 5
365 x 5 + 40 lbs. of chains
365 x 5 + 80 lbs. of chains
365 x 5 + 120 lbs. of chains
365 x 5 + 160 lbs. of chains

The first set was the hardest and the sets just kept getting easier. Having the massive tendon stretch from deloading 160lbs at the bottom probably helped a little...

Cleans:
wrists were feeling sore from last week, so I dropped the reps and upped the weight. Not sure if that makes any sense though.

185 x 5
185 x 3
205 x 1 (new max #1)
225 x 1 (new max #2)
235 x fail
235 x fail

Box Jumps?:

Around this time, one of the guys was doing some low-box jumps and I was commenting that we needed some higher boxes. I pointed to the reverse-hyper and was like "We should jump on that!" Then he bet that I couldn't so I (of course) tried and succeeded. We got out the tape measure and it was 43".

Then we noticed that the counter next to it was only a few inches higher, so he dared me to try for that. So I did and made that. It was a little over 46". Not too bad, I think after doing a bunch of heavy squats before hand, but I don't remember how high the box at Wooden is, so this could just be average. I wish we had a 48" something so I could test whether I have a 4 foot vertical. (Actually, do box jumps even measure your vertical? Comments welcome)

Pause Squats w/ Safety-Squat Bar:
These were fun. also, not fun.

225 x 5 @ 5 sec.
275 x 5 @ 5 sec.
315 x 5 @ 5 sec.
365 x 2 @ 5 sec. (these were heavy...)

Zerchers:
no Pretzy-pads in this gym, so I tried using the SS-bar.

225 x 10.

Wrists feeling bad, also the legs, also the hips. then i stopped. fin.

Reverse-hypers:
4 sets of 330 til failure

Hanging abs:
1 set of 30
3 triple back-to-back sets of failure.

The last set of those triple sets was like 1 or 2 reps because i was so spent.

2 comments:

Nathan Beckmann said...

Box squats do not measure your vertical. Sorry to burst your bubble, but you don't have a 48'' vertical. That would mean you could dunk. It would probably mean Dean could dunk.

Nice work out though.

Also, don't you think the labels are a little excessive??

Juggernaut, the said...

I can *almost* dunk though. Like most of my hand over the rim?