Monday, August 18, 2008

Uncle Benchy's Good Times Dungeon

Thought I might post a not about where I'm working out at here in Boston. I've been training at the Olympia Barbell Club out it Wakefield, MA. The website mentions strength sports, but makes it look like a fun place. Make no mistakes, this place should be called "Uncle Benchy's Good Times Dungeon." And it's awesome. The gym is below ground under this civic center type building. It's maybe a third of the size of one of those 3 workout sections in Wooden. Yet it packs 10,000 lbs of weight and a ludicrous amount of specialty equipment. It's entirely key club based; you sign up, they give you a key, you promise not to steal all their stuff. The owner is a veteran powerlifter and really knows his stuff. There's several regular groups that meet and most people get together on Sunday morning for benching, so it's pretty fun. (except for being 9am.)

The place is pretty dirty too. You come out looking like you just battled a bear made of rubber trapped in a bamboo box:
That shirt was white when I went in. I've included a white sheet of paper for reference. You can also tell I've been squatting.

No comments: