Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Updates

Hey guys. Hope school and training is going well for everyone.

Squat
I switched to a smaller size super centurion (size 38) which is a wide stance instead of a regular like my old one. The wide stance is a better fit for me now since I have gradually moved my feet out wider. Haven't hit depth with the suit yet, but I have 7 more training weeks until the USPA state meet on March 24th so hopefully it happens before then lol.

Bench
Still working technique in the shirt on bench. Not much exciting news to report here.

Deadlift
I switched to sumo style deads recently as I am able to keep my back more upright and in a better position throughout the pull compared to conventional style. Also, using the wide stance super centurion (same as squats), I can get some poundage out of the suit. Here is a video from tonight:


Good luck to everyone competing in the USAPL state meet!

8 comments:

Luke said...

back looks good, what are your PR's now?

Scott Salomon said...

I've always thought you were better suited for sumo given your shitty lockout

Misael said...

Back DOES look good. I'm pretty damn surprised you didn't get that 3rd rep though since it was so fast off the ground. Mo rack pulls?

Juggernaut, the said...

UPSA instead of USAPL?? We miss seeing you at the meets. :(

Also, your glutes still look like your weak point since you're unable to push them through at the top. (The legs are fully extended, so the glutes and lower back are all that's left to finish the lift). Maybe take a page from Misael's book and do heavy glute thrusts. For rack pulls, i've often been told that if you pull sumo, to still do rack pulls conventional so you keep the long range of motion to work the glutes harder. YMMV though.

Vit said...

Haha ya USPA for now since everyone I currently train with competes USPA and has close ties with Steve Denison. Within the next few years I would still like to compete at USAPL Men's Nationals though so I will be back.

I'm thinking it may be a glute activation issue in addition to a muscular weakness. I still have a tendency to pull the weight with my back even after it's right past the knees, where ideally I should drive my hips through and squeeze the glutes.

I was reminiscing the other day while watching this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voFT08fIoNo

Dave have you decided what your next meet will be? How is the PhD going?

Misael said...

Glute thrusts fucking suck but they'll help your lock out. Maybe some GHR against bands too.

Ben said...

VIT THE IMMORTAL!!! KEEP UP THE HARD WORK!! YOU ARE MAKING MAJOR GAINS!!

Ben said...

VIT THE IMMORTAL!!! KEEP UP THE HARD WORK!! YOU ARE MAKING MAJOR GAINS!!