Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Training for the Club (Club-Effort Bench) ??

Bench:
normal grip; 2 second pause

265 x 5
275 x 4 + 1 fail (half way)
275 x 4 + 1 fail (on chest)

I'm really happy with these sets. Normally the 2 second pauses kill me, but I feel much more explosive off the chest now. This was a big difference than the training session just two weeks ago.

Close-grip Becnh:
245 x 5 @ 1 board
265 x 5 @ 2 board
285 x 4 + 1 fail @ 3 board

Tricep Death:
Used regular bench grip

185 x all 6 boards,
185 x off chest + 5 boards

On the first set I found out that with my current set up gives me a noticeably shorter range of motion. (I have been widening my grip since I last did these, so this is expected.) The 5 board is a little over 2" and I have to lose some of my arch to make 6 boards have any ROM.

Also, the same staff member that made us stop using the bands came over to ask us to stop using the boards. We were insistent that we could in fact use them since we weren't "adding anything" to the machines. The staff person was like "I'll go ask. What are these things called??" We all gave her a puzzled look and replied almost all at once, "boards." QED.

Standing Press:
135 x 8
155 x 5
175 x 3
155 x 6

Everything felt light today, which was nice.

1 comment:

Vit said...

Damn Dave, the 2 second pause on the chest really does get you stronger.