Monday, October 13, 2008

Yesterday with Rippetoe

So, yesterday the guy I was going to train with (not an Olympic lifter but he works at the gym I lift at) bailed on me, so I just showed up hoping someone would be there. Turns out Rippetoe was having a seminar and he was training right after. I talked him into letting me train there (he doesn't really know anyone at the gym so I had to sweet talk him a little into letting me lift with no one else there). I was doing 90% snatches (97kg) while he watched and coached my form. Turnes out I need to start with my hips higher tha I have been on both the snatch and clean, and to get my elbows down in the jerk to drive myself under the bar. I had a blister on my thumb by the time I was finished with the workout so I skipped power cleans but did the snatch pulls I needed to get done. I also skipped back squats since the workout went like 2 hours or so and I was tired/bored. I have 85% back squats tomorrow anyway so think it'll be alright.

Rippetoe was a nice guy and he ended up staying and coaching me way longer than he had planned to be there. I need to get much more flexible in my rear delts (I think...whatever shoulder muscle that allows me to keep the bar in the palm of my hand for the jerk). I definitely still need to stretch the hams/groin to get into the hips-higher starting position with an arched back. My back is flat but not arched enough.

4 comments:

Phil Russell said...

NICE. I really want to learn from him in person. The books are great, but everyone is different and needs individual coaching.

I know the seminar you're talking about, looked into it: $200 deposit! Yikes. Maybe as a Xmas/birthday present!

Jake Ceccarelli said...

Ya it was nice to get info in-person. The stuff in Starting Strength doesn't apply very well to the Olympic lifts but his coaching was pretty helpful since he seemed to know the lifts pretty well.

Brent Tanaka said...

which gym do you train at?

Jake Ceccarelli said...

Crossfit Newport Beach