Saturday, November 7, 2009

Meet Report

USAPL Southern California Regionals

The meet was well run and quick. Judging was inconsistent; several flagrant violations went uncalled, while several good lifts (in video replay) showed no evidence of what the judges redlighted them for. Overall, judging seemed strictest on the heaviest lifts.

The team did great overall, and people were very impressed.

squat
573 - no lift; sides judges said I was high
573 - no lift; head just said squat before I ready and I took a step because I was off balance
573 - two whites

Squatting got off to a rough start. Judges in the warm up room said I was hitting depth. On the platform, a different set said I was high. I think I was slightly below parallel - which counts just as much as burying it. It was a tough day for the equipped lifters and many people got called for depth. The weight was never a problem, thankfully.

bench
369
385
402 (PR)

402 felt the best; I was able to easily touch in the shirt, which meant less strain at the bottom.

deadlift
629
672
705 (PR; CA open 198 record)

The lifts got faster the heavier I went. Very happy to finally break the 700 mark. I think there were several videos, which will be posted as soon as I get them.

total
1680 (PR)

A 71 pound PR. I definitely had over 1700 in me today, but those plans got a bit derailed by the squat debacle. Hopefully I can adjust a bit more and break 1700 at the next meet.

5 comments:

Jake Ceccarelli said...

Great lifts Dave! I want to see a video of your 705 deadlift,

Brent Tanaka said...

705 was badass, especially from the view i had.

if you check the video replay, i got so pumped i throw the brush i used to clean the bar just as you lock out the weight. then i follow you to try and congratulate you but you walk back to the guys at the chalk bowl. i look like a complete jackass but that pull was fuckin great. after your pull, the judges on the platform were commenting on how you reminded them of a mini mike bridges.

Vit said...

haha, I was wondering where that wooden brush came from. I thought that when the weight hit the ground it busted the platform and pieces flew up or something.

Trey said...

dude.. that brush was thrown so fast, it almost hit me




haha.. anyways, BIG congrats on the awesome lifting, big dave.
..198 records ALL day

Nathan Beckmann said...

Good job Dave. Fantastic lifting. Too bad the trouble on the squats, but you'll get 1700 next time out.

<3