Monday, July 13, 2009

Final Sheiko Workout

I haven't been doing this Sheiko program for long, but I've realized that these workouts are just too long and monotonous for me. I almost left halfway through today's workout because I really wasn't looking forward to any exercises I was doing. The whole workout really felt like a chore to do and I doubt that I can keep this up for another 10 weeks. I know that people have used the programs with great success, but I don't see how I can make progress if my head isn't in the workouts.

I'm probably going to switch back to a 4 day squat/bench/dead/upper back split, but I'll try to incorporate more high volume/low intensity work on deadlift day to address my form. Also, mad props to Nathan for having the discipline to be doing Sheiko programs for so long.

7 comments:

Nathan Beckmann said...

Ha, I guess it's not right for everyone psychologically. That's too bad, I think it would have been good for you.

Anyway, as for squat/bench/dead/upper back. I'm not sure this is the best split. You should be benching more than this. You can move a lot of upper back stuff to deadlift day or a light bench day and do more benching on that day instead. I'm sure Dave, Jake, etc. have more thoughts about this.

Jake Ceccarelli said...

I guess you can try some of the routines from the blog that Kyle posted. Those aren't bad. I don't know how you're going to enjoy lifting because the best way to get stronger is to stick to the big movements anyway and just keep doing them. There are no more monotonous sports than powerlifting and weightlifting.

Vit said...

Nathan, I wanna try and keep an upper back day because this definitely made a difference in my deadlift when I started doing it in the fall with the guys at UCLA. I'll probably add in another light bench day: mon-squat, tues-upper back, wed-bench, friday-deadlift, saturday-light bench (basically what Dave and the guys were doing during the school year)

Jake, it's not that I don't like the big movements. It's more that I also like doing variations of the movements and other assistance exercises.

Kyle said...

Going with what Jake said, that blog is a very good source of information. I would recommend it. Good searches would be "Bill Starr" or "Ditillo"

Juggernaut, the said...

Ah, well, at least we have one more Sheiko experience. I have to agree with Vit that I would probably get bored with Sheiko and burn out. Variation in the workouts is pretty important for me. Also, I agree that the upper back is important. Brent's suggestion to put in more heavy upper back has really made a difference in my deadlift lately.

Brent Tanaka said...

Holy shit! I helped Dave's deadlift!?! I'm gonna take credit for that when you take first in the 181s at FitExpo 2010.

Jake Ceccarelli said...

You'd probably be doing a more advanced Sheiko workout than the rest of us though, Dave, where the number of exercises is greatly expanded anyway. I think you're training's pretty much fine though so I don't really think it's necessary for you to switch.