Friday, July 24, 2009

The Return of BULL STEWART

Went to Bull's new place today. Very nice. He got business of the year award last year and tripled his gym membership since I last saw him. His new gym has a dedicated powerlifting room in the back with chalk, bands, ss-bar, hex-bar, and a front squat hardness. The wall back there is lined with team pictures too, which is awesome. Got the form for the Alki beach meet, so it looks like I'll be deadlifting in 4 weeks. We spent so much time talking that it was a bit of a rushed workout, haha. I'll probably try to train at Bull's place on Saturdays from now on.

Good Mornings:
365 x 5
405 x 5
435 x 5
455 x 5

This may or may not prove that my GM is better than my squat :/ Warming up, I did a bit of form adjustment and my back now feels much straighter and I'm able to get lower. The lower back did feel somewhat tired at the start, but 455 felt easy. This may have been because Bull was standing behind me with a "why do you need a spot on this?" look on his face.

Supersetted light (225) speed pulls with chest supported rows. Speed pulls felt so-so, as the lower back really was tired. I think last week's deadlifts took more out than expected since I haven't really gone that heavy in a while.

Then did a superset with kettlebell pull-throughs and hamstring curls.

Lighter day overall, need to keep strength up for my last deadlift before the meet, which will be next thurs. May do it suited just to see how that feels. If the suit is too lose, I'll see about getting it tailored.

2 comments:

Kyle said...

Dave, the reason that your GM is so close to your squat is probably because you do a GM/Squat to begin with, so only a GM is kinda like a half-squat for you.

Juggernaut, the said...

Not anymore; my form is awesome now. Sort of. I'll post a vid once i get my new (magic) shoes.