Thursday, April 28, 2011

4.28.11--The Deadlift Day from Hell

Luke had urged me to go to the 6:30 group. I decided to eat a slightly later dinner, watch the Lakers knock off the Hornets to advance to the second round, and watch some of the NFL Draft. Big mistake.

I get to the 8:00 group and see that they are not on the platform. No big deal. We start warming up on the half squat rack, while waiting for the platform. The 8:00 group was slow to load weights and too damn focused on the platform instead of lifting weight. Didn't get on the platform until 8:45. This left me fairly miffed, as I just wanted to go to the Bear Cave to do the SS Bar and finish up the workout there. In fact, I suggested that We should have done the entire workout in the Bear Cave, but that was met with hostility.

Deadlift:
warmups
315x5@10-
335x5@10 PR

So then we have to wait for Vit and Nick to go all the way to the Bear Cave to get the SS Bar and bring it to the Wooden Center for our Low Box Squats. Well, this endeavor took about a half hour.

SS Bar Low Box Squats:
72x5
162x8 (because Vit told me we were doing sets of 8, not 5)
162x5

I supersetted these with banded hypers to save time, but this ended up taking a lot out of me.

Well, the clock struck 10:00 and all I had done was that, but I wasn't going to stick around and tolerate the 8:00 group's incompetence any longer. So I left.

No hard feelings guys, but today was an embarrassment.

14 comments:

Greg said...

Dude, this is pretty harsh. Normally you have a lot of good suggestions and ideas, but this doesn't seem constructive.

Greg said...

BTW nice PR.

Scott Salomon said...

I told Dave that he could look forward to my scathing review of tonight's workout. I'm not really mad at any person in particular, more just with the poor communication.

Ryan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Juggernaut, the said...

The workout did take unnaturally long. I had to run home due to a personal problem and showed up 80 minutes late but still finished around the same time. Granted, i had the platform all to myself, but we could definitely do better to keep the efficiency up. Most of our workouts in the 8:00 crew have been under 2 hours easily lately, so today was quite the anomaly.

Greg said...

I went to 6:30 today, and in the bear cave we can basically parallelize all the lifts because there are so many bars and racks. The downside is it's obviously limited for power racks and using bands. It's tough at 8 in Wooden to get through a deadlift workout with only one platform.

Nick said...

If we are incompetent perhaps you could have helped us in getting the bar, Vit and I are fat, slow powerlifters. Maybe also encouraging quicker loading would be more constructive rather than this review?

Scott Salomon said...

Okay after re-reading the post I guess I came off pretty much like an asshole. I really didn't mean to burn any bridges here, I was just frustrated with the poor communication, not with any individuals. It would have taken me just as long, if not longer to get the SS bar from the bear cave. You guys probably went as fast as possible, and I don't mean to question that. I just think if we had all gone to the bear cave from the beginning (besides Dave, who can't work out there due to the bar not being able to hold enough weight), we would have gotten through the workout much quicker. When I suggested this, I was ignored, so it kind of irritated me.

Nick said...

We actually were about to go to the Bear Cave and Dave showed up, and we weren't going to leave him there to dadlift 645x5 alone lol

Ryan said...

poor Vit got targeted

Nick said...

Racial profiling, picking on the 2 dark guyz

Vit said...

I'm not dark, I'm just real tan. Sorry if we irritated you Scott. I admit that once we started waiting for the platform I got tunnel vision and only wanted to deadlift on the platform.

Scott Salomon said...

Well, I guess that in the end it was all kinda worth it, because we all hit some mean PRs today.

Ben said...

335X5. ENOUGH SAID. WORK DONE.