Saturday, November 15, 2008

Meet Day Logistics

(Updated to be a sticky-post until the meet)



Link to Official Meet Info

Who is driving?

I know I am. I can take 3-4 people.

Looks like it's 40 with no traffic from UCLA to the meet location.

Weigh-in is from 8:30-10am. I want to get there early so I can start eating again early. I'm guessing the competition will start around 10:15ish.

I will be leaving from the UCLA area at like 7:30. I will probably be late, but the goal is to show up early and weigh-in ASAP.

Who else is driving? I think Lucy will have her car which can hold at least 3 people. Is anyone leaving directly from Westwood?

What to bring?

Food. Srsly. There will probably be stuff there to buy, but it's much easier if you don't have to run around trying to find it between flights. Sub sandwiches are good.

If you're competing, make sure to bring a ton of gatorade for after you weigh in. If you have to dehydrate to make weight, you want to be able to rehydrate right away. Also bring something solid for quick energy / breakfast after you weigh in. I also bring a few Rockstars because I am a caffeine addict.

Those that aren't competing are free to make a food run (and maybe buy stuff for the rest of us). I would also bring a bit of cash. I don't think there will be any admission fee, but you never know. The most I've ever seen was $5?

What about that gear stuff?

Just as a reminder (to myself included), bring at least the following things:

  1. Singlet

  2. Knee-length Socks. I am not kidding about this. They will not let you deadlift without them, due to people getting blood everywhere.

  3. Chucks

  4. (updated) Your UCLA Powerlifting tshirt (if you have it) or some other UCLA-related shirt. Or something else awesome looking like with a dragon fighting a ninja riding a bear carrying a boy in a bamboo box. You need a tshirt at least for the squat.


Sadly, because of all this paper business, I haven't had time to check into whether we could get access to the UCLA wrestling singlets. So, I would make sure you have your own as a fall back.

If anyone has extra gear (e.g. wrist wraps, belts, etc.), it's generally useful to bring that too. You never know how the ordering will go so it's good to have extras.

Am I missing anything?

12 comments:

Kyle said...

Dave, did you receive your wrist wraps in the mail yet?

For other info, I do not have a car and will need a ride. Will be getting another haircut to ensure that I will make weight.

kenji keeps going... said...

I can drive as well. nathan will be coming with me. that leave me room for 3 more...

i will be leaving at 7/7:15.

kenji keeps going... said...

also, t-shirts (it says they may be sleeveless) have to be worn when squatting.

kenji keeps going... said...

brent and trey will also be coming with me. so i guess my car is pretty full...but we can fit one more if necessary.

Juggernaut, the said...

I guess I will pick up Kyle et al.

Also, we can't forget those UCLA t-shirts from last meet. Gotta make sure we look legit!

Nathan Beckmann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nathan Beckmann said...

I will be wearing an MIT shirt.

Stephen Hokama said...

Dean is it cool if I can hitch a ride with you guys?

Brent Tanaka said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brent Tanaka said...

i call left nut in dean's car since i already know nathan's 211 lb. fat ass is gonna be in shotgun. HA! just kidding big guy

Juggernaut, the said...

@Nathan - bring your UCLA shirt so someone else can wear it then.

@Stevie - I think I can squeeze you in my car if you want to come by my place first. I don't live in Westwood so all-day parking should be easier to find.

@Kyle - yeah the wrist wraps showed up. I actually ordered a 1' and 2' pairs so I could have one for training and one for competition. I'll bring both so someone can use the other one

Kyle said...

Dave, where will the people in your car be meeting?