Monday, November 17, 2008

Gear Makeover

Thank you Dave and Nathan for letting me use and stink up your gear. But now it's time for me to buy EVERYTHING. Here is what I have picked out as some of my options. Feel free to speak your mind or give me advice on any of the brands that you prefer or which would suit my style of lifting.

Squat Suit:
My stance is medium wide? I know it's wider than Dave's and I think it's a bit narrower than Nathan's stance.
1. Titan Centurion NXG Super+

Bench Shirt:
I'm confused about this one. I have a weak arch, but I want to work on it. My grip is very wide, pretty much the maximum grip allowed for competition. Also, I keep my elbows pretty far out (I haven't had to tuck much) and like to touch at about my sternum.
1. Super Katana
2. Rage X, Phenom, Katana

Dead Lift Suit:
My stance is conventional. Can't be cool like Steve and convert to sumo. Will the Centurion make for a decent conventional DL suit?
1. Inzer Fusion
2. Inzer Max DL

Finally, where is the best place to buy all this stuff at (besides the Inzer gear, which I would go to Steve Denison for). I know these things barely ever go on sale so I'm willing to spend, I just don't want to get ripped off. Thanks guys.

6 comments:

GH said...

The titan for squat.

For bench, its all about just getting one. If you get a shirt with more arch, I firmly believe it will help you transition into having a better arch.

I hate dl suits.

And some other people might have better opinions about the wraps. But, I've used shitty wraps and I've used good wraps, they feel exactly the same to me--for me, it's more about how/who is wrapping than the wraps itself. The stiffer the weave of the wrap, the more it's going to dig into your skin and provide stability. The looser the weave of the wrap, the tighter it can be wound and thus provide a feeling of increased rebound.

You already got a nice thick belt, right?

Nathan Beckmann said...

Titan for squat. Get ready to have it re-tailored after you order it, though.

Phenom will hurt like a bitch so I'd say go with something else. The thing for you is you need one that fits you way better than what you have.

Deadlift suit -- meh. Titan will work OK but not great as a conventional deadlift suit.

I think getting better knee wraps will be useful, but wrist wraps not so much.

You can buy any titan thing from Titan themselves or there are several sites that advertise on powerliftingwatch.com that sell Titan stock sizes. You might want to piggy-back with Dean on an order ... he was making some noise about getting a new suit.

Phil Russell said...

I have no clue how you plan to use a Katana at this stage. Then again, I have no clue how Dean uses a Katana....

Well, I don't arch much. There are basically three shirts I think you should consider if you bench like me:
- Titan Fury
- Inzer Rage (NOT X)
- Metal IPF Bencher (King or Viking material)

I really like my Metal IPF Bencher; highest groove I've ever found. The low groove found on the Rage X and F6 is for arch-a-holics like Dave and Gary. More power to them, but you gotta go with what works for you. So see if you can get a Titan Fury for cheap off of Ken Anderson.

Phil Russell said...

Oh yeah, Titan makes a cheap conventional DL suit as well. And good knee wraps (legal USAPL/USPF length is 2 m).

So basically, I'd say just go with Titan for everything through Ken Anderson. And don't get everything super-tight, get gear you can grow into (unless you want to shell out > $300 again soon).

Nathan Beckmann said...

Katana makes a fit for higher groove/less arch. That's actually the one that Dean got (the S/S cut).

I think you should definitely get stuff that fits you well. As Phil proved, you can stretch a suit as you grow. It's more likely you'll have to get it tightened than buy a new one. Its like you're planning to roll 198 in a few months.

Nathan Beckmann said...

Correction: It's *not* like you're going to roll 198...