Tuesday, April 27, 2010

04/26/10 Squat

A great workout. PR in the squat. Back felt fine and I was much more explosive out of the hole. The last training cycle where I focused on that with box squats and such seems to have made a difference! I held back a little with the reverse bands so as not to test my back too soon.

Squat

315 lbs x 5 reps x 1 sets @ 8 RPE
325 lbs x 5 reps x 1 sets @ 9 RPE
325 lbs x 5 reps x 1 sets @ 8.5 RPE
325 lbs x 5 reps x 1 sets @ 9 RPE

Reverse Band Squat (greens)

455 lbs x 3 reps x 1 sets @ 8 RPE
475 lbs x 3 reps x 2 sets @ 8.5 RPE
475 lbs x 3 reps x 1 sets @ 9 RPE


Finished up with some eagle glute machine and seated box jumps.


Total Workout Time: 1h 15m


BW: 184.0 (post dinner)

3 comments:

Ben said...

Congrats Matt!! Very nice PRs!! Box Squats certainly are great to work on explosiveness for the bottom. what does RPE stand for?

Ben said...

sorry you ended up lifting alone!! I would have joined you if I knew Greg was going to ditch you!!

Matt Buttimer said...

Thanks Ben. It's alright that I lifted alone as I still had a good workout.

RPE stands for rating of perceived exertion. It is on a scale of 1-10. For powerlifting purposes we would use mostly the 7-10 range.

7 being a "speed" rep weight.
8 being a weight that when you are done with your reps for that set you could have done another 2-4 before failing. 9 being a weight that when you are done with your reps for that set you could have only done 1 more rep. And 10 is basically maximal effort rep(s) for a given set.