Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Heavy Bench/Upper Back

Pulled an all-nighter last night, but training wasn't too bad.

Bench (full commands)
195 x 1
205 x 1 -didn't feel too bad
210 x 1 with help -Matt didn't want me to struggle too much since it was the 3rd set so he helped the bar up
210 x 1 (brief pause) -PR, this was a max effort very slow rep, ass might have come up
205 x 1 (brief pause) -felt pretty easy

Don't know why 205 was so much easier than 210 today. My bench has felt good this past training cycle and I've been hitting 2 rep and 3 rep PRs but this doesn't seem to carry over to my 1 rep max much on bench. For the next few weeks leading up to the July meet I'll try and get more heavy benching in. Maybe I'll do 1 light day and 1 heavy day.

Incline bench
135 x 5
145 x 5
155 x 5, 5, 5

Wide grip pullups
BW x 12, 12, 12

Barbell shrugs (w/ straps)
315 x 20, 20, 20

8 comments:

Kyle said...

Where did you fail on those reps? Off the chest, a couple inches off, or lockout?

Juggernaut, the said...

Your weds. training day should be your light day in the current split...

Vit said...

Kyle, it didn't actually fail, it just slowed down like crazy probably like 5 inches off the chest.

Dave, the percentage written down for this Wednesday were 85-90% for 6 sets of 2. This would mean about 185 for 6 sets of 2, which is not light for me. By light I mean more like triples at 70-75% or something like that.

All of last year when we were benching twice a week I couldn't keep up so I'm trying to be strict about only having one day of strainful benching each week.

Juggernaut, the said...

205 x .85 = 175?

Jake Ceccarelli said...

"All of last year when we were benching twice a week I couldn't keep up so I'm trying to be strict about only having one day of strainful benching each week."

Why would working less hard help you keep up?

Unknown said...

210 x .85 = 178.5
210 x 0.9 = 189
In between ~185

Jake, by not being able to keep up I mean my bench felt stale and I was not making progress.

Luke said...

Michael?

Vit said...

haha my bad, i guess my roommates account was signed in at the time