Saturday, February 28, 2009

Workout # 2 today...

Yes I'm addicted to lifting. But I wanted to go back and test my mid back/front squat hypothesis. It held.

Front squat 142/1 125/3 135/3 x 2
Clean pull 125/3 130/3 x 2
BTN Press 52/3 56/3 60/1

So, the reason I believe my jerk (any my clean at heavy weight) sucks is because of my mid back. As Louie Simmons says for powerlifting, you should "push your abs out against the belt" when you squat. Apparently this is true for weightlifting. The problem is, when I do it, my back gets so tight it cramps. This time though, I sucked it up and kept going through the cramps. It allows for a much more upright position in the squat It also requires intense flexibility at the bottom. I will be working on this without lowering my training weights. Additional sets around 70% will probably be included to work the technique and my back.`

2 comments:

Juggernaut, the said...

what was your "mid back/front squat hypothesis"?

Jake Ceccarelli said...

My hypothesis is that when I front squat, my mid/upper back is actually slightly rounded, not competely arched. This causes my clean in the bottom position to be slightly forward, which hasn't been a problem really until now. It also causes my jerk to be forward. When I stand in a front squat position and allow my back to arch harder it actually cramps, which I think is hurting my jerk. I'm going to be working on holding that position until I can do it comfortably.