Sunday, February 22, 2009

USAPL 2.21.2009: Post Mortem

Weighed in at 109.7 kg after a huge Indian carb bomb of a dinner. HAH. Lifted in the Men's Open Raw division.

Squat:
Warm-ups felt shitty.

#1 418. Easy, smoke show, depth was apparently borderline.
#2 430. Easy, sunk it low.
#3 446. Felt good, sunk it low.

Three white lights on everything.

Bench:
One thing I didn't account for was the length of the pause. The judges were making you wait there for 3-4 seconds for the Press command. Brutal.

#1 337. Easy.
#2 346. Hardest bench ever, but I ground it out. Decided not to take a third attempt.

Conventional Deadlift:
Warm-ups felt ultra-shitty.

#1 473. Meh, pretty good.
#2 501. Not bad.
#3 513. A little slow at the top, but still got it decently fast.

So total was 1306. Not quite Class I by the Raw Standards, but whatevs. I still broke 1300 raw and went 8/9. Congrats to Terrance/Kyle/Trey on their first meet, to Brent for hitting a big total and Dave for qualifying for Men's Nationals!

4 comments:

Jake Ceccarelli said...

Nice job. Are these records for you? Are you satisfied with your training plan's effectiveness?

Phil Russell said...

Yep.

Squat: +28 PR (from 418)
Bench: +19 PR (from 327)
Deadlift: +12 PR (from 501)

My previous 501 deadlift was in a suit, so it's actually better than 12 lbs. It's kind of amazing how much better I do on squat/dl after rest/food. Dave commented that he didn't expect me to hit 446 based on Tuesday's performance (405 x 2, hard). This tells me that I can safely bump up my expected numbers from my training numbers.

As far as my training plan, I feel very positive about it. It has def. worked out very well for raw strength. Funnily, the latest incarnation basically looks like block programming. Next week is a "volume"/acclimation block to get ready for the higher intensity weeks.

Next meet will be the USPF Sept. meet at Venice Beach (full power, geared). Will keep training exclusively raw until June, then I will start gradually adding gear. I will throw in some chain training before then, though.

Nathan Beckmann said...

Good job Phils. Way to bring it for the meet. I gotta admit I was a little worried after seeing you squat heavy earlier this week, but you made it where it counts.

Brent Tanaka said...

PHIL THE POWER!

Awesome numbers.