Monday, January 12, 2009

ME Squat (sort of)

Goal today was to walk out 600+ and see how it felt. I wanted to at least feel the weight once before I attempt it in competition. This is my last squat workout, so I didn't want to push myself too hard in volume to allow time for recovery.

Squat:
w/ suit straps down + knee sleeves
Used the blue bands on the outside. We used two sets of safety pins to ensure that the bands were completely slack for the top 6" of the lift. This let me walk it out with no band tension.

405 x 3 (straps down)
455 x 1 (straps down, belt over)
545 x 1 w/ blue bands (same)
605 x 2 w/ blue bands (same)

545 felt so-so. 605 felt super easy. A bunch of people were like "WTF?!?" after we loaded the weight on, so I used that to pump myself up. I was originally only going to do 1 rep, but I decided to do another and that also felt easy. I know the bands definitely helped, but I still felt very strong on the lock out and acceleration, so I think this may actually be feasible for a 3rd attempt.

Lunges:
225 x 16
275 x 12
315 x 8

I wasn't too gassed from the squats, so lunges felt much easier today for a change.

Quad Death:
Leg Extesions for 6 strip sets (did the stack ~20 reps to start) + a shit ton of reps with 135 on the squat. Did two sets of these.

The guys did a great job of pushing me to the limit on these. So much that I felt like puking when I got done...

Ab Wheel:
2 sets. Had to stop on the second because I still felt nauseous from the quad death.

2 comments:

Brent Tanaka said...

Sounds like you are good to go for the Fit Expo. If you out squat Darren Matsumoto, I'll buy you Gushi. I know Kyle's down.

Kyle said...

GUSHI!