Saturday, August 15, 2009

Meet Report

WOW.

Recipe for SuccessDisaster:
  1. the week before the meet, sprain your hamstring
  2. 6 days before the meet, get sick
  3. Monday - Thursday before, do not sleep due to working on paper for conference deadline
  4. The day of the meet, show up only to find out they moved the schedule up 2 hours and you're up next.
  5. Deadlifting on a platform with an incline

I spent the morning in the sauna cutting weight (as usual), but planned to rehydrate for 2 hours before I even had to warm up. The afternoon weigh-ins were supposed to be from 12-1:30, with my flight starting at 2:30. When I showed up right at noon, they were half way through the flight in front of mine, so it was a mad dash to weigh-in and start pounding liquids. I don't think I was even aware of what I was doing until right before my 3rd attempt. The platform was uneven (maybe a 2 degree pitch forward), which was unfortunate. I think if I was more awake/hydrated, I probably could have corrected for it.

Attempt 1 - 633: good
Attempts 2/3 - 677: fail
total time between showing up and end of third attempt: 70 minutes.

Oh well, at least I can pull 633 in those kinds of conditions. I probably should have gone 198 for this meet since it was just for fun. The hamstring held up pretty well. I think I retweaked it once during warm up and on the second attempt, but it's not resprained. One more week and it should be good as new.

2 comments:

Vit said...

Tough luck Dave. Did they not let the lifters know about the schedule change? Either way, 633 still isn't bad considering the week/day of chaos.

Kyle said...

If you can pull 633 after all of that, I have a feeling you can break the 700 barrier this year.