Thursday, August 27, 2009

Bench

left shoulder felt off today, which was odd since I had a longer-than-usual rest since my last bench. I went extra slow on warm ups and did extra shoulder rotations to help, but the pain stayed with.

Bench:
I asked Todd called a random 1-2 second pause on these, which made them harder than expected.
275 x 5, 4
285 x 3

I tucked a bit more on the third rep of 285 and then flared hard at the end, which felt much easier than the first two rep. I need to try that again in the future

Pin Presses:
2" off chest. Fingers just inside the rings (new weak point). Used quadded monster minis for resistance.

135 x 5
185 x fail (unexpected)
155 x 5
165 x 5
175 x 5

Not sure what happened on the second set, as 175 didn't feel too bad.

Stability Bench:
used blue bands for support

80s x 2 + 1 fail
80s x fail
60s x 10, 10, 10, 8

Todd gave me some grief upon seeing me fail at the 80s. Usually I can do those no problem, but I had put in more volume than usual. He suggested that they would be more useful for someone who had worse form (according to him, I am a very technical bencher). That said, another lifter said it was alright to do them like i do (about every 5-6 weeks) to keep the muscles strong. These also give me a crazy pump and exhaust my chest better than every other press. I definitely need more muscle there, so they seem like a useful volume exercise with some nice side-benefits. I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but if people have comments, awesome.

Finished with a circuit of ball reverse hypers, cable abs and light cable triceps (elbow prehab)

2 comments:

Juggernaut, the said...

This was an unnecessarily long post. :/

Kyle said...

I think we should do the stability bench a bit more often when we train together again. It seems to be a good exercise.